This first introductory episode introduces the podcast and lays out our schedule for 2015.
Schedule of Podcasts for 2015
- What do changes in the Legislative makeup mean?
- Looking back at Legislation passed in 2014
February: Net Metering
- How does net metering work?
- What are the problems utilities are having with
- What are the markets opened by net metering?
What is the scale of opportunity?
- What policies have been pursued to address the
net metering issue and what are some other mechanisms to make access to the
grid less of a problem?
March: Grid Modernization
- What does “modernization” mean? What are impacts
- What are the impacts of modernization to
- What are the opportunities associated with
- What are policies to promote grid modernization?
April: Renewable Energy
- How has renewable energy changed over the past
- We hear alot about wind and solar – what else is
- If renewable energy is more affordable, why
isn’t there more of it?
- What policies have promoted renewable energy,
what could promote renewable energy in the future?
- How do utilities work?
- How is the utility world changing?
- What are some approaches that are being used
around the world to change the way utilities work?
- How do states tackle this changing environment?
June: Legislative Wrap Up
- What were some of the key pieces of legislation
introduced in 2015?
- Deep Dive: Legislation #1
- Deep Dive: Legislation #2
- Deep Dive: Legislation #3
July: Energy Productivity
- What do we mean by “productivity”? Conservation vs Efficiency
- Technologies to drive efficiency
- Behavioral technologies
- Policies to promote productivity
August: EPA Rule 111(d)
- What does the rule do, what is the history of
- BSERs Explained, Mass vs Rate
- Opportunities and Challenges for states
- Potential approaches – Regional Markets vs Go it
September: Energy Storage
- What is the current state of storage
- What does storage mean for consumers and
- What are the barriers to increased storage on
the utility system and for consumers?
- What policies would promote storage?
October: Demand Response
- What is demand response? What is required for
demand response to work?
- What is FERC Order 745 and what does it mean?
- What are the barriers to maximizing demand
response in states?
- What are the policies available to states to
increase demand response deployment?
- What are micro-grids, how do they work?
- How can micro-grids help customers and utilities
- What are some examples of states pursuing
- How do states promote Micro-Grids?
December: Combined Heat and Power (CHP)
- What is CHP?
- What are the opportunities around CHP?
- What states have successfully deployed CHP?
- What are some policies to promote CHP?