Net Metering - The Advocates Perspective
While Net Metering can apply to a range of technologies on the customer side of a meter that credits power placed on the grid - the advocate voices have primarily come from the solar industry and solar advocates.
In this week's podcast, we look at the arguments for net metering from the advocates of net metering.
Links referenced in this episode:
Net Metering - the Utility Perspective
Utilities have been pushing back against net metering policies throughout the country. But why? Net metering is the law in 43 states - and those laws have been in place for many years, what are the utility concerns driving this sudden pushback against net metering? In this episode we explore the utility arguments against net metering. Next week, we will look at the perspective of the advocates.
Links referenced in this episode:
The Duck Curve
- from a blog that brings up the benefits of facing solar resources west
2015 Episode 3 - Net Metering 101
Net Metering is one of the most contentious issues in state legislatures and public utility commissions today - pitting utilities against the growing solar industry.
Legislative Highlights of 2014
As legislatures gear up for 2015, we look at some of the highlights in energy policy from 2014.
Links for this episode:
Introduction to the Energy Policy Podcast
This first introductory episode introduces the podcast and lays out our schedule for 2015.
Schedule of Podcasts for 2015
- What do changes in the Legislative makeup mean?
- Looking back at Legislation passed in 2014
February: Net Metering
- How does net metering work?
- What are the problems utilities are having with net metering?
- What are the markets opened by net metering? What is the scale of opportunity?
- What policies have been pursued to address the net metering issue and what are some other mechanisms to make access to the grid less of a problem?
March: Energy Productivity
- What do we mean by “productivity”? Conservation vs Efficiency
- Demand Response Technologies
- Technologies to drive efficiency
- Behavioral technologies
- Policies to promote productivity
April: Renewable Energy
- How has renewable energy changed over the past 20 years?
- We hear alot about wind and solar – what else is there?
- If renewable energy is more affordable, why isn’t there more of it?
- What policies have promoted renewable energy, what could promote renewable energy in the future?
- The changing transportation landscape
- Utility opportunities to electricfy the transportation sector
- Legislative Trends around the country
- Policy Innovations in transportation
June: Clean Energy Finance
- What can finance do and what can't it do
- What are some critical approaches to finance policies and programs
- Finance for the buyers of electricity vs finance for the sellers of electricity
- New Policy Trends in finance
- How do utilities work?
- How is the utility world changing?
- What are some approaches that are being used around the world to change the way utilities work?
- How do states tackle this changing environment?
August: EPA Rule 111(d)
- What does the rule do, what is the history of the rule
- BSERs Explained, Mass vs Rate
- Opportunities and Challenges for states
- Potential approaches – Regional Markets vs Go it alone
September: Energy Storage
- What is the current state of storage technologies?
- What does storage mean for consumers and utilities?
- What are the barriers to increased storage on the utility system and for consumers?
- What policies would promote storage?
October: Responsible Oil and Gas Development and Regulation (Natural Gas Symposium)
- What are the regulatory challenges associated with oil and gas development
- Fracking - how big a problem is it?
- Colorado Water Watch - an innovation in regulation
- What are some of the policies states can pursue to promote responsible oil and gas development
November: Micro-Grids and Grid Modernization
- What does “modernization” mean? What are impacts to consumers
- What are the impacts of modernization to utilities?
- What are the opportunities associated with modernization?
- What are policies to promote grid modernization?
- What are micro-grids, how do they work?
- How can micro-grids help customers and utilities
- What are some examples of states pursuing micro-grids?
- How do states promote Micro-Grids?
December: Legislative Wrap Up
- What were some of the key pieces of legislation introduced in 2015?
- Deep Dive: Legislation #1
- Deep Dive: Legislation #2
- Deep Dive: Legislation #3